Views from Now and Then The Former Townscape The Prosperity of Old Disaster Visits Nakamachi Festivals and Events The Former TownscapeBuilding for the Matsumoto Chamber of Commerce and Industry, established in 1887.The property is now a parking lot.A confectioner at the end of the Meiji Period.It is now a glasses store.A photo of Marumo Ryokan from around 1897. It is now known as Marumo, a café and ryokan popular with visitors.A kimono and fabric shop from the Meiji Period.It is now the location of Fujibikura.Children swim in the Metoba River at the end of the Meiji Period. A narrow back alley of Nakamachi Street runs along the right side of the river.The road is much wider these days.A dining hall in 1934.Hitotsubashi Bridge around 1955. The movie poster is quite nostalgic!The building on the right is currently Mode Maruwa. Ikedaya Ryokan became Hotel Ikedaya.Ohashi, stone bridge that connected the Higashi(eastern)machi and Naka(central)machi from 1884 to 1896.The first crossing of the newly made Ohashi after the old bridge was damaged by floodwater. May 19621937 saw the 30th anniversary of Matsumoto's establishment as a municipality. The entrance of Nakamachi Street.A view of the town from 1920. Judging from the decorations, it must be the Ameichi Festival.The Prosperity of OldMatsumoto's Arch of Triumph is welcoming soldiers back home.In front of modern-day Fujibikura and Torinoko.A handmade festival float used in welcoming back soldiers. August 1934The current premises of Ryukoji Temple.Celebrating the opening of Ohashi Bridge. 1932It's changed a lot since the good old days.Celebrating the first newspaper publication of the year. Around 1907.It is now the Kuromon area.A bicycle store in 1932. The row of bicycles belong to the Matsumoto City post office.Traces of that time still remain today.A view of a sugar store's first stock. 1916.Nakamachi's salesmen community must have been brimming with enthusiasm to make such great decorations and put on a wonderful performance for the first sale of the year.It is now the front of Torinoko.Kimono and Fabric StoreA huge sale to commemorate the store's move in 1921.Salesmen at a Shinto Festival.The first night view of the city. 1936A striking and exciting banner on display. 1933A great sale to celebrate the first anniversary of a move. 1922It has since become the location for the current Kurassic-Kan.Disaster Visits NakamachiFloods were a result of a typhoon in August of 1959.It is now the Kuranoarumachi Nakamachi Parking Lot.Near Ichinose Sewing Machine.It's now the way to Aeon Mall.Store floors were flooded up and down Nakamachi Street.ポストの位置が今と換わってます。 （流されたわけではありません．．．。） The postbox isn't in the same position these days. And it didn't float to the other side of the road, either!The Metoba River area was completely overrun.Festivals and FloatsTenjin FestivalThe Tenjin Festival at the end of the Meiji Period. At the time, stores would decorate their storefronts with lanterns.Utsukushigahara Highlands can be seen in the background.FloatsA ceremonial float from Nakamachi. 1934A ceremonial float. 1912Performers in the Tenjin Festival. 1937A group of festival performers.